ATI Catalyst 8.12 Display Driver XP 32bit
This release note provides information on the latest posting of AMD’s industry leading software suite, Catalyst. This particular software suite updates both the AMD Display Driver, and the Catalyst Control Center. This unified driver has been further enhanced to provide the highest level of power, performance, and reliability. The AMD Catalyst software suite is the ultimate in performance and stability.
The Catalyst Software Suite 8.12 contains the following:
• Radeon display driver 8.561
• HydraVision for both Windows XP and Vista
• HydraVision Basic Edition (Windows XP only)
• WDM Driver Install Bundle
• Southbridge/IXP Driver
• Catalyst Control Center Version 8.561
Caution: The Catalyst software driver and the Catalyst Control Center can be downloaded independently of each other. However, for maximum stability and performance AMD recommends that both components be updated from the same Catalyst release
Caution: The Catalyst Control Center requires that the Microsoft
.NET Framework version 2.0 be installed. Without .NET version 2.0 installed, the Catalyst Control Center will not launch properly and the user will see an error message.
Note: These release notes provide information on the Radeon display driver only.
AMD Product Support
The Catalyst Vista driver for both the 32bit and 64bit versions of the Microsoft Windows Vista operating system is supported on the following ATI Radeon products.
AMD Desktop Product Family Support for both Windows Vista and XP
ATI Radeon HD 4350 Series ATI Radeon HD 4650 Series
ATI Radeon HD 4670 Series ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 Series
ATI Radeon HD 4550 Series ATI Radeon HD4600 Series
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series ATI Radeon X1300 Series
ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series ATI Radeon X1050 Series
AMD Desktop Product Family Support for both Windows Vista and XP
AMD Desktop Product Family Support
ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series ATI Radeon X850 Series
ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series ATI Radeon X800 Series
ATI Radeon HD 2900 Series ATI Radeon X700 Series
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Series ATI Radeon X600 Series
ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series ATI Radeon X550 Series
ATI Radeon X1950 Series ATI Radeon X300 Series
ATI Radeon X1900 Series ATI Radeon 9800 Series
ATI Radeon X1800 Series ATI Radeon 9700 Series
ATI Radeon X1650 Series ATI Radeon 9600 Series
ATI Radeon X1600 Series ATI Radeon 9550 Series
ATI Radeon X1550 Series ATI Radeon 9500 Series
AMD Multimedia Family Product Support for both Windows Vista and XP
AMD Multimedia Family Product Support
ATI All-in-Wonder X1900 Series
ATI Theater 600
ATI All-in-Wonder X1800 Series
ATI All-in-Wonder X600 Series
ATI All-in-Wonder 2006 Edition
ATI Theater 550 PRO
ATI All-in-Wonder X800 Series
ATI All-in-Wonder 9800 Series
ATI Theater 650
ATI All-in-Wonder 9600 Series
AMD Chipset Product Support
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Series ATI Radeon HD 3300 Series
ATI Radeon HD 3100 Series AMD 580X Series Chipset
ATI Radeon HD 2100 Series ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 Series
ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 Series ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 Series
ATI Radeon X1250 Series ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Series
ATI Radeon X1200 Series AMD 690 Series Chipset
This section provides information on new features found in this release of the Radeon Display Driver. These include the following:
• ATI Stream Computing Support
• ATI Stream Application: ATI AVIVO Video Converter
• ATI Catalyst Control Center: Noise Reduction for Progressive Video Content
• Performance Improvements
ATI Stream Computing Support
With the release of ATI Catalyst 8.12 users can unlock the potential of accelerated applications enabling ATI Stream technology for millions of ATI Radeon
graphics processors worldwide
• ATI Stream computing harnesses the tremendous processing power of the graphics processing unit (GPU) for high-performance, data-intensive computations
over a wide range of scientific, business and consumer applications.
• ATI Stream technology enables the hundreds of parallel Stream cores inside AMD graphics processors to accelerate general purpose applications. These
capabilities will allow ATI Stream-enabled programs, for a variety of different tasks and from a growing number of software vendors, to operate with optimized performance or with new functionality.
ATI Stream Application: ATI AVIVO Video Converter
• Using ATI Stream technology, owners of ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series and ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series of graphics cards can help accelerate the conversion of standard and HD video into multiple formats for use on differing consumer electronics devices
ATI Catalyst Control Center: Noise Reduction for Progressive Video Content
• This release of Catalyst introduces a new advanced video quality control:
Noise Reduction for progressive video content, which removes ghosting artifacts while preserving details of the original video. The slider control can be found in the All Settings page of the Avivo Video tab found in the Catalyst Control Center
The following performance gains are noticed with this release of Catalyst
• 3DMark Vantage DX10 – performance gains of up to 5% for Single and Crossfire mode. Performance gains were noticed on HD46xx, HD4550 and HD4350.
• Call of Duty: World at War DX9 – performance gains of up to 21% for Single and Crossfire mode. Performance gains were noticed on all Radeon HD48xx.
• Crysis DX10 – performance gains of up to 25% for Single and Crossfire mode. Performance gains were noticed on all Radeon HD4xxx.
• Crysis Warhead DX10 – performance gains of up to 13% for Single card mode and up to 16% for Crossfire mode. Performance gains were noticed on all Radeon HD4xxx.
• Devil May Cry 4 DX10– performance gains of up to 6% for Single and Crossfire mode. Performance gains were noticed on all Radeon HD4xxx and HD38xx.
• Fallout 3 – performance gains of up to 15% for Single card mode.
• Far Cry 2 DX10 – performance gains of up to 10% for Single card mode and up to 57% in Crossfire mode. Performance gains were noticed on all Radeon HD4xxx and HD38xx.
• FEAR DX9 – performance gains of up to 6% for Single and Crossfire mode. Performance gains were noticed on Radeon HD4870X2 and HD4870.
• Hellgate: London DX10 – performance gains of up to 6% for Single card mode and up to 10% for Crossfire mode. Performance gains were noticed on all Radeon HD4xxx.
• Left 4 Dead DX9– performance gains of up to 10% for Single card mode and up to 5% for Crossfire mode. Performance gains were noticed on all Radeon HD4870 series.
• Lost Planet Colonies DX10 – performance gains of up to 10% for Single and Crossfire mode. Performance gains were noticed on all Radeon HD4xxx and HD38xx.
• Prey OGL – performance gains of up to 15% for Crossfire mode. Performance gains were noticed on Radeon HD4870 1GB products, HD46xx, HD45xx.
• S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky – performance gains of up to 10% for Crossfire mode. Performance gains were noticed on all Radeon HD4xxx and HD38xx.
• Unreal Tournament 3 DX9 – performance gains of up to 18% for Single card mode and up to 15% in Crossfire mode, especially in cases where AA is enabled. Performance gains were noticed on all Radeon HD4xxx and HD38xx.
Resolved Issues for the Windows Vista Operating System
This section provides information on resolved issues in this release of the ATI Catalyst Software Suite for Windows Vista. These include:
• Setting shadow quality to high or medium may cause flickering in World of Warcraft
• Age of Conan DirectX 10, may intermittently become unresponsive during game play
• Catalyst Install Manager, the 'Deselect All' button will improperly mark installed packages
• The display driver may fail after being installed on an ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series or ATI Radeon HD 4870 adapter
• Returning from system standby may cause some video corruption to occur on some OpenGL games
• Catalyst Control Center, AVIVO video settings are disabled under MS Vista
• Catalyst Control Center, "Unsupported file formats" error message displayed when selecting H.264 files for transcoding
• HD video file playback may cause the operating system to stop responding
• On some Crossfire configurations the OS may become unstable while running auto-tune when Crossfire is enabled
• "Crossfire" hot key shortcut settings are not retained on reboot
• Catalyst Control Center Setup Assistant may intermittently cause Catalyst Control Center to fail
• Catalyst Control Center, Digital Support Panel, predefined and custom HDTV formats description has been updated
• Catalyst Control Center, resetting the application back to factory defaults does not rest the application skin
• Help documentation for "Enable Geometry Instancing" and "Triple Buffering" is unavailable in help page
Resolved Issues for the Windows XP Operating System
This section provides information on resolved issues in this release of the ATI Catalyst Software Suite for Windows XP. These include:
• Using an HDMI cable to connect an ATI All-in-Wonder to a Yamaha receiver may result in the display resolution being limited to 1280x1024 and audio failing to function
• Catalyst Control Center, some of the 3D settings are not displayed on ATI Radeon HD 4870 adapters
• The operating system may fail to start after installing the display driver with some configurations of "Crosfire" with Radeon X1900 Series devices
• The operating system may intermittently fail when exiting Test Drive Unlimited after extensive game play
• Dual display, playing multiple video files on each monitor may cause the system to stop responding
• City of Villains: Attempting to launch the game on a system running Windows XP and containing either two ATI Radeon HD 38x0 or 46x0 products
may result in the game failing to load and the operating system failing to respond
• Some OpenGL applications may cause the OS to stop responding on some ATI Radeon HD 45xx adapters
• On some configurations, the display driver may stop responding when resolution is set to 2048x1536 with 8X Anti-Alias and Edge Detect filter enabled
• Exiting some games may intermittently cause the following error message when 8X anti-alias edge detection is enabled: "Display Driver stopped working"
• Hot unplugging a HDMI connection during video playback may cause system instability
• Catalyst Control Center: Enabling pulldown setting may not work on all video formats
• Systems configured with Overlay Theater Mode enabled may intermittently become unresponsive after playing video
• Catalyst Control Center, setting the de-noise slider does not affect the quality of progressive video content
• Intermittent flickering may be noticed on the TV out display when playing a DVD using Cyberlink PowerDVD
Known Issues Under the Windows Vista Operating
This section provides information on known issues that may be experienced under the Windows Vista operating system with the latest version of Catalyst. These include:
• Catalyst Control Center , some screen corruption may be noticed after enabling 1080p HDMI support and adjusting the scaling options
• Tomb Raider Underworld, some video artifacts may be noticed during game play
• When using PowerDVD to play certain Blue-ray DVD titles, the lower portion of the player window may intermittently appear shaky when playing Special Features
• Video combing effects may be noticed during movie playback while fast forwarding or rewinding
• Video corruption may occur when playing back 1080i MPEG2 content
• Catalyst Control Center, error message 'CCC Host Application' may be displayed when cancelling a transcoding process
Known Issues Under the Windows XP Operating
The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows XP operating system in the latest version of Catalyst. These include:
• Catalyst Control Center, the deinterlacing option under AVIVO video is not available after returning from VPU recovery
• Video corruption may be noticed during certain MPEG-2 file playback
• Playing some Blu-ray HD titles on multi head displays may cause the system to stop responding
• Previous transcoders may cause the ATI AVIVO Video Converter to not use the GPU for trancodiing
• Transcoding multiple times may cause the ATI AVIVO Converter to not use the GPU
Installing the Catalyst Vista Software Driver For further information and general help on software driver installation, game issues, and more, visit ATI Customer Care.
Installation information can be found at: ati.amd.com
Catalyst Crew Driver Feedback
This driver release incorporates suggestions received through the Catalyst CREW Driver Feedback program. To provide us with your feedback, visit: Catalyst Crew Driver Feedback.
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
It is highly recommended to always use the most recent driver version available. Do not forget to check with our site as often as possible in order to stay updated on the latest drivers, software and games. Try to set a system restore point before installing a device driver. This will help if you installed a wrong driver. Problems can arise when your hardware device is too old or not supported any longer.
- Graphics Board
- Other Drivers & Tools
- Digital Camera / Webcam / Camcorder
- Sound Card
- Printer / Scanner
- Network Card
- Keyboard & Mouse
- Joystick, Gamepad & Wheels
- TV Tuner / Capture Card
- Mobile Phones
- Card Readers
- HDD / SSD / NAS / USB Flash
- TV / HDTV / Projectors
- DVD / Blu-Ray / Media Players
- Router / Switch / AP
- Doesn't matter
- 3 months
- 6 months
- 12 months
- 24 months