Sony PlayStation 3 Firmware 3.55
Blu-ray 3D disc playback
The PS3 system can now play 3D content on Blu-ray 3D discs.
- An HD 3D display, active 3D glasses, and a high-speed HDMI cable (each sold separately) are required for 3D features.
Limitations on Blu-ray 3D disc playback
- The 3D display of some elements such as menus and subtitles may be different on the PS3 system than on other 3D playback devices.
- Depending on the content, some BD-J (Blu-ray Disc Java*) features such as BONUSVIEW and BD-Live may not play in 3D or may not function properly on the PS3 system.
- When Dolby TrueHD is selected as the audio format, audio will be output in Dolby Digital during playback of Blu-ray 3D content.
- When DTS-HD is selected as the audio format, audio will be output in DTS during playback of Blu-ray 3D content.
*Blu-ray Disc Java provides enhanced bonus content, including network access, picture-in-picture (PIP) functionality and expanded local storage.
Other new or revised features in version 3.55 (with 3.50)
- You can now submit "grief reports" if you receive unwelcome or harassing messages. To submit a grief report, select the message under [Friends], press the button, and then select [Grief Report].
- You can now access public information on Facebook from Facebook-supported games.
[Allow Access from Games] has been added under (PlayStationNetwork)
> (Account Management) > (Facebook).
Do not allow access to public information on Facebook from Facebook-supported games.
Allow access to public information on Facebook from Facebook-supported games.
- New for 3.55: A security patch has been added.
Blu-ray 3D and the Blu-ray 3D logo are trademarks of the Blu-ray Disc Association.
Facebook is a service that helps you connect and share with the people in your life. Facebook is a registered trademark of Facebook, Inc.
- Do not download or install updates using data other than official update data provided online or on disc media by Sony Computer Entertainment, and do not download or install updates by methods other than those described in the system documentation or on this website. If you download or install update data from another source, by another method, or with a PS3 system that has been altered or modified in any way, the PS3 system may not operate properly and may not be able to install the official update data. Any of these actions may void the PS3 system warranty and affect your ability to obtain warranty services and repair services from Sony Computer Entertainment.
- This update is for PS3 systems purchased in North America. DO NOT update your PS3 system through this website if you purchased your system outside North America. There is no guarantee of proper operation with models sold outside North America.
- The system software and system software updates installed on your system are subject to a limited license from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Visit http://www.scei.co.jp/ps3-eula for details.
- If your PS3 system software version is 3.55 (or later), you do not need to perform this update. To check the version of your system software, go to > (Settings) > (System Settings) > [System Information]. The information is shown in the [System Software] field.
- The [Install Other OS] and [Default System] features have been deleted in system software versions 3.21 and later. You will not be able to use [Install Other OS] or [Default System] under (Settings) > (System Settings). See the Consumer Alerts page for more details.
- To play some software or use some features, you may first need to update the system software.
- Depending on your PS3 system software version, the screen images and icons that are used on this website may differ from those that appear on your system.
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
It is highly recommended to always use the most recent driver version available. Do not forget to check with our site as often as possible in order to stay updated on the latest drivers, software and games. Try to set a system restore point before installing a device driver. This will help if you installed a wrong driver. Problems can arise when your hardware device is too old or not supported any longer.
- Graphics Board
- Other Drivers & Tools
- Digital Camera / Webcam / Camcorder
- Sound Card
- Printer / Scanner
- Network Card
- Keyboard & Mouse
- Joystick, Gamepad & Wheels
- TV Tuner / Capture Card
- Mobile Phones
- Card Readers
- HDD / SSD / NAS / USB Flash
- TV / HDTV / Projectors
- DVD / Blu-Ray / Media Players
- Router / Switch / AP
- Doesn't matter
- 3 months
- 6 months
- 12 months
- 24 months