The Xbox 360 console software is updated periodically with new features. If you're having one of the following problems, updating your console software might fix the problem:
- Dashboard themes don't appear.
- Avatars are missing.
- The Kinect sensor doesn't work (flashing green or red sensor light).
Burn to a CD or DVD
You can update your Xbox 360 console software by downloading the update to your computer from Xbox.com, burning the update to a CD or DVD, and then installing the update on your console. Here's how:
- On your computer, download the update file.
- Click Save to save the console update .zip file on your computer.
- Unzip the file. If you are using Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, double-click the .zip file to unzip it.
If you are using Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, double-click the .zip file to unzip it.
If you are using an earlier version of Windows, you need to use a special software program to unzip the file (for example, WinZip).
- Insert a blank, writeable CD or DVD into your computer.
- Copy the contents of the .zip file to the root directory on your CD or DVD, and choose to write (burn) the files to the disc.
- Once the files have been burned to disc, remove that disc from your computer and insert it into the disc drive on your Xbox 360 console.
- Restart the console.
- When the console restarts, the installation program starts automatically. Select Yes when you are prompted to update the new console software.
It is highly recommended to always use the most recent driver version available.
Do not forget to check with our site as often as possible in order to stay updated on the latest drivers, software and games.
Try to set a system restore point before installing a device driver. This will help if you installed a wrong driver. Problems can arise when your hardware device is too old or not supported any longer.